I stumbled into becoming a funny speaker by complete accident. I have learned A LOT along the way. What I learned-I actually already knew. Let me explain:
I have a degree in theatre. What I learned and even taught when it came to theatre/acting performance, audience, communication, messaging, etc., has translated perfectly to the speaking world. All the rules seem to hold true for either mode of communication-acting or speaking.
It’s taken making a whole lot of mistakes and performing a loooot of really tough gigs to finally embrace who I am. I’m a performer with a message.
I’ve done free speaking gigs, drove hours for almost no-paying gigs, done back alley gigs, comedy gigs, county fair gigs, festival gigs. My cars broke down. Someone slipped something in my drink the last comedy club I performed at. I’ve traveled 12 hours one way to have the company never pay me. Been snowed in, iced in, dust-stormed in. (I choked on-stage during the dust storm-literally. I coughed and gagged on the dirt so much, I had to walk off after only 8 minutes.) I’ve bombed on stage. I’ve killed it-and a whole lot of in-between.
Now that you know some of my creds-here’s some huge mistakes from an actor’s perspective, I see other speakers make on stage. I’ve done several of these myself.
- Not Thinking from the Audience’s Perspective
Continue reading “5 Mistakes You’re Making When You Give A Speech”
Are you A or B?
- Do you know who you are? Do you have a clear direction of where your life is headed? Do you wake up each morning knowing your life “plan” or “purpose”, which allows you to overcome difficult obstacles? Do you know what calms you down when you are stressed? Do you know what makes you happy?
- Do you feel clouded, confused, burnt out, or that you’re simply floating or surviving through life?
Continue reading “Easy Questionnaire to Help You Find Your “Uniquity””
Let me know when you figure it out, because this blog posts shows I haven’t.
Stacy Pederson is a funny motivational speaker…which is ironic when it comes to motivation. When Stacy’s not blogging, she can be found in Colorado overeating, sleeping and feeling guilty about all of it. You can learn more about her dysfunction at: StacyPederson.com.
Ok. So don’t be offended, but I don’t know who created these funny memes. I just know they made my day when I saw them. Now I’m hoping to make yours.
(If this happens to be one of your funny memes-sorry. Please put your creds in the comment section with proper link.)
I know, I know! “I shouldn’t post,” to all you rule followers who may be offended. But their freakin’ FUNNY! Imitation is the best form of flattery.
For Anyone Who’s Not Feeling Successful:
Continue reading “19 Plagiarized #FunnyMemes to Make Your Day”
With over a 90% failure rate in business, it’s hard for me to believe there’s not a slew of people out there feeling desperate…and scared that they’re about to “lose everything”.
First, if you are one of them, I want to say that I am truly sorry you are going through this. It’s no fun. It hurts. It’s scary. BUT, my goal by the end of this article is to give you a little glimmer of hope.
I’ve lost it all. Well, almost. I’ve never lost my kids and for that I’m eternally grateful. I’ve lost my 1st marriage, my home, my job, my health, my ability to walk, my friends, and for a time-I felt like I lost my sanity. Continue reading “What to Do if You’re About to Lose Everything”
Have you ever worked with someone who consistently failed to complete her tasks for the week?
-She couldn’t find the time to get her email opt-in page completed?
-She was too busy to write the next chapter of her book?
-She was working too hard and completely forgot to put together her webinar presentation?
It wouldn’t take long before you sat her down for a serious talk about the future of your working relationship—and her business?
-Even worse- have you ever had a boss or co-worker who slept in and showed up shockingly late as if it were no big deal?
Continue reading “Stop Being Your Own Worst Co-Worker/ Boss”
1. You Always Make Me Feel Guilty. Other people seem to really like you a lot better than me. You’re all they ever talk about. You’re what they leap out of bed for in the morning and the last thing they think of before they fall asleep. I don’t leap out of bed for any reason and you are THE reason I can’t sleep. People seem to love you, but, truthfully, sometimes I can’t stand the thought of you. That makes me feel like a really bad person and, thus, I feel guilty.
2. You’re Really Controlling Over My Time. Somedays I want to do what I want to do when I want to do it. You, on the other hand, expect me to be there on the times you dictate. I have to live my whole life wrapped around your time frame. THEN when you give me two weeks off, you act like I should be grateful. 2 weeks! I think our relationship should be flipped. I work the times I want to work, but then 2 weeks out of the year, I’ll work when you need me to. Deal?
3. You Don’t Respect My Boundaries. When I’m out with my friends or spending time with my family, you’re constantly e-mailing, calling, messaging, or texting me. I’ve talked to me about not letting myself fall into your trap, but I don’t listen to myself. I don’t respect my boundaries just like you don’t respect my boundaries and that’s why we both make me miserable.
Continue reading “Dear Work: 10 Things I Hate About You”